Today INN hosted a Google Hangout with representatives of the Knight Foundation on the topic of nonprofit news sustainability with the authors of Knight’s recent report, “Finding a Foothold: How Nonprofit News Organizations Seek Sustainability.”
The report gives readers a deep dive into 18 nonprofit news organizations, how they bring in money to support their work, and how that’s changed over time.
Key questions addressed during this conversation include:
- What’s the right mix when it comes to devoting resources toward core editorial functions and efforts like marketing and fundraising?
- What are the most common ways news nonprofits create earned revenue?
- What doesn’t work? What types of efforts should new organizations avoid?
- How do distribution partnerships with other, often larger media organizations help or hurt news nonprofits?
- Is it a good idea to hire fundraising consultants, or is it a better idea to bring that function in-house?