While developing your product, consider what channels you can use to reach your audience.
What are the preferred ways your target audience wants to be reached? What is the best way to deliver your value proposition to your target audience? What alternative distribution strategies are worth considering? More specific questions:
- Where does your target audience already spend time?
- How do they get content and where do they want to get content?
- How are you going to connect with them in those spaces?
- How are you going to bring/invite them into your space?
- Where and how are they active on social media?
- Do they like getting email; do they open email?
Based on those considerations, what mix of direct and distributed audience strategies might work best? You will have to answer this question before you can write a business plan, so we’ll come back to it at the end of the next chapter, applying your answers to the questions above to the building of your product and distribution strategy. We will explain how nonprofit news organizations choose between two basic structures or strategies when they create a publication or become a reporting service that distributes or syndicates its content.