A mission statement conveys the intention of the organization to make something happen in the world. The mission statement focuses on outcomes, not activities, and it should clearly articulate your value proposition in a way that your stakeholders understand what’s in it for them.
A mission statement answers the following questions:
- Why does this organization exist?
- What is the purpose of this organization?
- What do we want to achieve long-term?
- What target audience will benefit from our product(s) or service(s)?
- What are our core values?
- What are the mission-related milestones for the organization?
RESOURCE: Dick Tofel on mission-driven journalism